Thursday, May 23, 2013

Meet the Cape Cod Canal Ambassador Family -- The Melansons


My pregnancy with my little girl, Emma Jean Caldas Melanson was going well and everyone in my family was so excited. I was 27 weeks pregnant and I had just entered the doctor’s office for a routine visit. I was excited to hear the comforting whoo, whoo, whoo that I had heard so many visits before, but this time, I heard nothing. The nurse had me change my position, and then she had me drink some juice, and still, I heard nothing. My heart shattered and my mind went blank. I found myself going for an emergency ultrasound and it was there that my biggest fears were confirmed. My baby girl was gone. She was still.  
I was frozen in time. I couldn’t believe that just a few weeks earlier she was still here, still growing, and today right now she was gone. I was depressed. I was sad. I was angry. I was nervous. On the morning of June 30, 2010, I went to the hospital to be induced. Nearly 17 hours later, my sweet baby girl was born. With my family by my side, we held her, we kissed her, we told her stories, we laughed, we cried, and we cried some more. I held onto my daughter for as long as I could; I didn’t want to let her go; none of us did.

Just before Thanksgiving, my sisters, my mother, and I were spending an afternoon together. We were reminiscing about the holidays and all the fun we had together baking. Suddenly, it was clear, since Emma couldn’t be here with us, we could open a bakery and bring joy to all those around us in her name! And thus the idea of Emma Jean’s Cupcake Factory, Ice Cream Shoppe, and Candy House was born and in October 2011, we opened for business!

At our shop you will find a very special "cupcake" called the Emma Jean, which is an angel food cake, filled with real whipped cream, and topped with a purple forget-me-not. All proceeds for this cupcake are donated to the March of Dimes along with other donations that we receive at our shop. In addition, each year we organize a team, raise money, and walk in honor of our Emma Jean and to help support the March of Dimes mission.

 
 
The Melanson Family

No comments:

Post a Comment