Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Jennifer O'Connor - A Mom's Story


Recently, I got an email from a March of Dimes Mom, Jennifer O'Connor, about her son, Michael. I wanted to share it with all of you. Here is Jennifer's story, in her words.

The journey of my beautiful son starts with years of infertility and desires of wanting another child. I remember the tears of joy flowing on the ultrasound table when they disbelievingly found your heartbeat. I remember the horrific day when I collapsed on the floor when the doctor called saying that the pre-natal testing indicated that you most likely had rare genetic diseases and your quality of life would be severely compromised. I remember praying to the angels to dance around my growing belly to heal and protect you. I remember the weekly drives into the amazing Advanced Fetal Care Center at Boston Children's Hospital where I met the most brilliant and caring nurses and doctors who monitored your potential health problems. I remember the night my water broke two months too early and the fear that I would lose you after fighting and praying so hard for so many months during the pregnancy. 




I prayed to God that you would be able to live a healthy and fulfilling life and have the potential for a happy childhood like every young kid deserves - to run, to eat, to smile and to fight with your siblings. And God delivered you to me perfectly despite all the medical tests indicating otherwise. We spent weeks in the NICU at the Brigham where the nurses cared for your every need and my every worry. I salute them every day, as well as the March of Dimes. 


Tonight as I tucked you to sleep, I remember the joys, the sorrow, the fears, and most of all I am left with the overwhelming gratitude of the blessings of life and the lesson you will always teach me that it is never ever to late to stop believing. Thank you to my amazing friends and family and husband - particularly Gina Zichitella and my mom who carried me through every step of this amazing journey. Thank you to the surgeons who fixed my broken body after the damaging consequences of the pregnancy.


No comments:

Post a Comment